expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Minnesota nice!


It was a gorgeous day in Minnesota; sunny and 80°! For my upcoming 15k, my training schedule was to run 5 miles today. I've been struggling with my weekday runs lately, probably due to our busy spring work hours and boredom running the same route. I decided to try a new section of the Gateway Trail that runs near our neighborhood. The Gateway Trail runs 18 miles between St. Paul and Stillwater; that means plenty of trails to explore! After taking in two handfuls of chocolate chips (Jolene, thanks for the snack advice!!), I hit the trail and began my usual route. At mile 1.2, I veered off to a different trail section to finish out my run. How awesome was the view! It was a great distraction from thinking about running, and my already trashed feet (an unusual love/hate relationship with tennis shoes); not to mention the large blister I developed too on this run! I cranked out the 5 a lot better than I usually do. :-)


A beautiful section of the Gateway Trail. What's not to love?!


After finishing my 5 miles, I was still a couple miles out from my starting point by Lake Phalen. While walking back, I stopped to snap a couple photos of the Phalen area with my phone. There was no wind today which made for awesome reflections on the water. With nature finally waking from the long winter, everything was so green and spectacular looking!

I love this area! There were tons of people out by the lake; runners, walkers, people fishing, grilling, canoeing, playing volleyball. It was great to see so many active people out enjoying our awesome Minnesota day!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. That is absolutely beautiful! I wish I had somewhere that scenic to run. Lucky.

    I LOVE chocolate chips for a pre-run snack! Dark chocolate after also helps with inflammation (it's a really great reason for a Dove dark chocolate too). :)

    You have come a long way with your running! So proud of you! When is your 15k?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's so many more trails around us in St. Paul now! NE Mpls was nice, but was mostly industrial until I'd get to Boom Island Park. The closest was a golf course. Ha. I LOVE this new section of trail I ran the other day! And it looked like a few forks that branched off to somewhere else to discover too. It makes me feel like I'm not even in the city... it's great! I think I'll have to keep up with the chocolate chips... and what a great excuse to have them after too!! :)
    My 15K is June 7th.. I'm nervous about this one! Training is getting harder with the added distance, but I'm just taking it one step at a time (and can't wait for this blister on my foot to go away!!). I'm still sloth-like on my time! I can't believe that you're doing 8-9 minute miles!! Holy crappers that's incredible!! I wish I had your speed...even at your slowest! Ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took awhile and believe me...the speed comes and goes. Once you get some solid endurance going, I'll give you some ideas for speed workouts. Endurance first, speed comes second. ;) You are going to do great! I know it!

      BTW....I nominated you for a Liebster award...find it here along with your questions and the rest of the winners - http://jojocouture-southernfriedsoul.blogspot.com/2014/05/my-1st-blogiversary-liebster-award.html

      Delete
  3. I could use some good tips on speed! I think for my first half I'm going to strictly focus on the endurance. I'll be amazed if I can complete this 15K in 2 weeks!

    Thanks for the nomination for the Liebster award! Ha ha ha I never think of people reading my blog... I find myself so boring!

    ReplyDelete