expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Journey to Canada, ay! August 2011

I took a few days off this past August to take a nice vacation out of the country.  Destination, CANADA!  I've always loved Canada, and have wanted to visit again.  My venture wasn't too far past Minnesota; just over the border into the Thunder Bay region of Ontario.
My first stop before reaching Canada was Cascade State Park, along the Northern Shore of Minnesota.  Hoory for camping, I'm here!
Taking a quick stroll down to the Cascades after camp was set up.
A refreshing dip in the Cascade River.  Aaahh!!
Lake Superior shoreline around sunset.
Along the shores of Superior
The Cascades! 
I took these shots of the Cascade Falls with several filters to slow the motion of the water.
Another area of the Cascade River
Following an overnight stay at Cascade River State Park, I ventured up to Grand Portage for a quick stop at the Grand Portage Hitorical fort before crossing the border into Canada.  Here, the Superior shoreline by Grand Portage.
Beautiful rocky shoreline
Grand Portage National Monument- The Great Hall
The Great Hall
A replica of how Fort Charlotte may have looked.
Games that traders played
A massive Voyaguer's canoe
Chilly Lake Superior!
Voyaguer's canoe
The Great Hall
An overlook near Grand Portage, MN
Customs!  Almost into Canada!

Hooray!  I made it!
After a couple hours worth of driving, and a quick turn around after briefly being lost, I arrived at my destination- Kakabeka Falls Park in Kakabeka Falls, Canada. The falls in which the town is named.
Kakabeka Falls

Front view of Kakabeka Falls
The river, before the falls.

A small stream that is only a fraction of the waterfall.

Overlooking the edge where the Kakabeka falls decend.
The Kaministiquia River, which makes up part of the Kakabeka falls.
Kaministiquia River
Taking a hike along the river.
Kakabeka Falls Generating Station.  Power from the falls are utilized to aid in providing electricity to the surrounding cities.
I spotted this eagle sitting up high in this dead tree, on the opposite side of the river.
Self portrait of me and the falls
Slowing down the shutter speed of my camera to capture the motion of the falls.
Kakabeka falls, 10:00 pm.  Unfortunately my camera is getting old to the point of the back opening and exposing the film.  This happened while shooting the falls at night.  I had to crop this photo to remove exposed areas of the film.
5,000 years ago, this area surrounding the falls was entirely under water.  Only the top of the hill appeared as an island.
A beautiful hike along a trail.

A hiking trail within the campground.  Reaching for the sky!


Overhead views of the treetops



A small trickle of a waterfall along a hiking trail around the park.  Again my camera back fell open, exposing part of the photograph.
While camping in Canada, I drove to Thuder Bay to visit Fort William Historical Park.  Fort William was one of the largest trading posts of the Voyaguers in the Canada region.  Here, the entrance to the Fort.
The back of the building that leads to Fort William.  A beautiful day for a trip to the Park!
Teepee replica

The weekend that I visited Fort William, they were having a Pow Wow ceremony.  Some of the Natives partaking in the ceremonial dance.
Large Voyaguer Canoes.  The Fort was offering rides along the river in these!
Fort William, with replica trading posts.

Outside the trading area

A replica building of a post, probably where canoes were made.



Pretty sure this guy wasn't part of the show!  I spied this woodchuck outside one of the historical buildings.

A replica of an old cookstove area.

Canoes!

Some canoes that displayed how Voyaguers once traveled.

A small gardening area within the trading post.

Lookout tower


A grand eating area within the trading post

One of the Natives playing flute.  It was beautiful music to listen to.  I was disappointed that the camera opened up again!


My last night at my site, before leaving Canada.  Had to leave my mark!

Ha ha ha playing around with fire!  Hot stick!

On my way back to Minnesota, I stopped at Grand Portage State Park once I was back over the Minnesota border.  Here, High Falls, just inside the Park.


Catching a rainbow at the base of High Falls.

Slowed motin

A beautiful day for hiking!

Normally the falls here are much more rapid and full, but because of our lack of rain over the last couple months of summer, the falls were rather light.

The Pigeon River, along Grand Portage State Park.

My last stop before returning home was at Tettegouche State Park.  I hiked to Two Step Falls, above, to capture this shot.

Me at my camp at Tettegouche.

Lake Superior along Tettegouche State Park

Superior shoreline

Also High Falls in Tettegouche State Park.  The waterfalls here are part of the Baptism River.

High Falls

The Baptism River

No comments:

Post a Comment