expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, August 5, 2013

Around the Backyard

 
This weekend we did more unpacking and started to tackle some of the yard work in the backyard.  It was a busy, but satisfying weekend!
 
Tiger lily in the backyard landscape.  I saved this one, and am planning on moving it somewhere. 

Traditional Phlox...my previous landlord loves these, I plan to give her them for her yard.

Miss Manners in black and white.


A classic daisy.

Saturday night fun!  Matt and I had a fire out on the back patio.  The weather was prime; cool and calm!
 
The beasts are loving the new backyard!  Lots of places to roam.  Tic enjoyed hanging out by some Monarda along the fence.  Luckily, he was never hit by black walnuts that periodically dropped from the tree overhead from the neighbor's yard.

Hershey's first tree climb!  I honestly didn't think  the tank could hoist his self up one (he weighs 13.5 lbs)!  At this point he was about 8' in the air.

What do you know, Pudgy is afraid to get back down!  I had to climb up and pull him down... and he sunk his claws into my flesh and clinged to me for dear life. Ouch. 
 
The fence line along our one neighbors house.  I plan to tear this all out, except for the Monarda.  There are some volunteer trees in the midst that need to go.

Before:  the backyard landscape.  At one time, I'm sure this looked lovely.  Now, it's an overgrown mess of weeds, perennials, volunteer trees, and grass.  When I "wade" through it, it's up to my waist in some areas!

Before:  Are plan is to tear everything out and start over from scratch.  We began by taking out the small "island" of lilies and other misc. perennials. 
 
After:  The island of misplaced lilies is gone!  This took forever to clear out; the soil is very rocky and clay-like.  We plan to turn this section back to grass.

After:  Another view of the section of perennial bed gone.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I have no doubt this is going to look fantastic when you are through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully it will. It's going to be a lot of work, but it'll be fun!

      Delete