expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Family History

Today my aunts, uncles, mom, grandpa, and family all revisited the farm where my grandpa grew up.  I had never been there, so it was a new experience for me.  It was nice listening to stories told by my family of past memories held at this peaceful section of land.

An overview of the farm from the top of the barn.  The old hog shed is still the original that stood on the property when my grandpa was living here as a child.
The barn that was built later by my grandpa's family; now has been renovated inside and given a new look.  While the house my grandpa lived in had no running water, the barn did.  This is where my grandpa and his family would go to shower, collect well water, etc.
The inside of the barn loft; the owners of it now have refinished it.  Just recently they held a wedding dance here, with DJ and all included.
Where this grape vineyard now grows, was once where the house where my grandpa grew up once stood.  The original house no longer exists.
The outhouse that once stood next to the house; complete with half moon and all!
A creek runs through the backyard grove area on the farm; here my aunts and uncles would swim & fish in the summer, sled down hills in the winter when they would come over to visit.  A view of the barn in the background.
My family in front of the barn, along with the owners today.  The wife, whose name has slipped my memory, is actually a first cousin to my grandpa, and her husband, Jay, grew up and went to school with my grandpa.
My family:  from left to right- my aunt Marlys, me, my uncle Herman, nephew Sebastian, my mom, my aunt Donna, my grandpa, my cousin Andrew, and the owners of the farm now.

No comments:

Post a Comment